Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Surprised and Touched

November 9, 2012

A fellow team member and GE Proud member requested a short meeting with me a while back.  That meeting took place today.  Although I was somewhat curious as to why he asked for the time, my curiosity was outweighed by my busy-ness.  As we sat in the conference room this afternoon, he proceeded to tell me that after 37 years, he was being let go – his position was eliminated.  I immediately felt awful and expressed my sadness to him along with my sincere offer to help him in any way that I could.  To my surprise, he didn’t want to talk at all about himself; he wanted to thank me and commend me for the work I’ve done in making GE Proud a reality as well as last year’s GE participation in Pridefest.  He wanted to reassure me that I’m doing good work and that change is taking place and that I should continue.  Being around my own age, he reminded me that in “our day” such things would never have even been thought about in the workplace.  He also reminded me that back in January when his long-time partner passed away, his supervisor told him to expect to have the same bereavement that a legal spouse would have.  Trying to fight back the tears, I kept trying to bring the conversation back to him and his situation, but he kept bringing it back to me and GE Proud and change.  How touching his unselfishness and his hopefulness was!  I’m still brought to tears when I think about the conversation.  I will miss him.

No comments:

Post a Comment