Saturday, November 1, 2014

Farewell Neighbor

October 9, 2014

Last year, my neighbor, Bill was diagnosed with cancer.  I met Bill immediately when I moved into my house 5 years ago.  He’s a great guy.  We had an “unspoken” competition with our lawns over the years, LOL, and he used to tell me about the family that lived in my house.
Bill lost his wife in February and subsequently became unable to care for himself alone as the cancer progressed.  He was recently placed in the same nursing home as Gram – right down the hall!  He met Gram, of course.  Everybody does.  I sat and visited with Bill a few times and it was nice to catch up after not seeing him for a while.

Bill’s brother Gary stopped at my house today to tell me in person that Bill passed away yesterday around noon. He wanted to let me know that the last night Bill was alive, he was watching TV in his room with Gary, when Gram rolled in and just sat with them. Gary didn't recognize Gram at first and said, "Who's that?" "That's Gram," Bill said. 
Today, Gary said, “Mike, I wanted you to know that Bill spent his last night on Earth with me and your Gram watching TV.”
I am touched. I am sad. I am also convinced that Gram is an angel. She will never know what she does for people.
RIP Bill. I will miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment